Caledon Burn Permits

The current Fire Hazard Rating for Caledon is:


The Town of Caledon has three types of burn permits available for residents:

Open Air

Open air burn permits ($42) are only available for residential properties with a lot size of ½ acres or greater. 

The purpose of these permits is to permit homeowners the ability of burning yard waste such as tree limbs, branches and twigs, but not for grass clippings and leaves. 

Residents that are eligible for an open air permit are automatically eligible for a Recreational permit at no additional cost. 

Apply now



backyard fireRecreational

Recreational burn permits ($25) are available for most residential properties providing the lot meets the minimum distances set out in the By-law.

All recreational fire must be contained within a non-combustible device and be located on a non-combustible surface. 

The container must be at least 3 metres from any nearby combustible materials.

For these fires only clean, dry seasoned firewood is permitted.

Apply now




Agricultural burn permits are only available for properties used for agricultural purposes as defined in the By-law. 

A Permit may only be obtained after an inspection and approval of the burn pile has been granted by Caledon Fire & Emergency Services. 

To apply for an agricultural burn permit, please contact us at 905.584-2272 x. 4303 or to arrange for an inspection.


Call before you burn!

Once you have a burn permit, please call the Burn Status hotline at 905.584.2272 x. 4343 to check the current conditions.  If the conditions are hot, dry and/or windy, we may issue a burn ban, in which case fires are NOT permitted (even if you have a burn permit). Thank you. 

Report a Problem

Open air burning in Caledon is governed by the "Open Air, Recreational and Agricultural Fires" By-law (2016-092) at

If you have a concern or issue you can submit a By-law complaint as follows:

1. Download the official Town of Caledon smartphone app at and use our "Report a Problem" feature.  With the app you can snap a photo and send it to us.  The photo will automatically include geo-location information that will help us locate and deal promptly with the issue.

2. You can also contact us directly by calling our special "Burn Complaints" hotline at 905.584.2272 x. 4350 or send an email to



For more information please refer to the Open Air Burning By-law at or contact Caledon Fire and Emergency Services at 905.584.2272 x. 4303 or